Our kids may see YouTube as a land of treasure, filled with exciting and entertaining content they love to explore. But like any land, dangers are lurking in the shadows that we must protect them from. Just like going on an adventure into the unknown, it’s important to equip ourselves with the right tools to keep our kids safe.
That’s why it’s important to know how to block channels on YouTube Kids and the regular version of YouTube. We want our kids to be able to enjoy the amazing content that YouTube has to offer, without having to worry about encountering inappropriate or dangerous videos.
In this guide, we will teach you how to easily block YouTube channels on the website or YouTube app so you can keep your children safe from potential harm.
How to Block a YouTube Channel on YouTube Kids
YouTube Kids is a version of YouTube that shows special videos for kids. It is different from regular YouTube because it only shows videos that are appropriate for children.
You can block certain channels on both YouTube and YouTube Kids to make sure your child does not watch videos you do not want them to watch. You can also block channels on YouTube to help enhance their focus while studying and boost their overall productivity.
Here's the step-by-step process of how to block specific channels on the YouTube Kids app or website:
1. Open the YouTube Kids app or website and sign in (if you're not already signed in).
2. Find the channel you would like to block
3. Select the three dots at the top right corner of any video page.
4. Tap “Block entire channel” to add it to your blocked list.
5. Now that channel is blocked!
5. Repeat these steps for all channels you wish to block on YouTube Kids.
Blocking Channels on Regular YouTube
It's also possible to block channels on regular YouTube, but the process is slightly different than blocking them on YouTube Kids. This is because you can not block a YouTube channel completely, it will still appear in your search results or on other external sites.
You have the option to stop YouTube from recommending the channel to you: Here's what you need to do:
1. Log into your account
2. On your YouTube feed find a video from the channel that you want to block
3. Select the three dots at the upper right corner of the YouTube video name.
4. Click the icon and select "Don't recommend channel"
5. However, if you made a mistake, simply select "Undo".
5. Repeat these steps for each channel you'd like to block.
How To Block YouTube Channels on Windows, Mac, or Linux
Windows, Mac, and Linux also provide the option to block channels.
If you're using a computer (Windows, Mac, or Linux) instead of a mobile device, here's how to block a YouTube channel on your PC:
1. Log into your account using the YouTube website
2. On your YouTube recommended page, find the channel you wish to block
3. Click on the three dots next to the video's name in the upper right corner
4. Select “Don’t recommend channel” and then confirm it
5. Press Undo, if you want to unblock a YouTube channel
6. Repeat these steps for all channels you want to block.
How To Unblock a YouTube Channel
If you made a mistake or changed your mind about blocking a channel, you can always unblock it. Besides the Undo option that is presented, you can't unblock an individual YouTube channel. Rather, you'll have to unblock all the channels you have previously blocked.
Here's how to do it:
1. Navigate to your Google My Activity page.
2. On the left menu, select "Other Google activity".
3. Beneath YouTube 'Not interested' feedback, click Delete.
4. Select Delete again to confirm your decision.
Now, all channels you have blocked will be unblocked.
The Best Way To Block YouTube Channels
The best way to block YouTube channels is by using the #1 screen-time management app - Opal.
Opal is designed to help parents manage how much time their children spend on YouTube and other digital devices. With a ton of features, like:
- Focus Report® - Assess your and your child's Focus and track the success of your goals with tangible metrics.
- Focus Score® - Check and measure your Focus level throughout the day
- Scheduled Sessions - Create a schedule to control when your child can access the internet and automatically block websites and apps like YouTube
- App Limits: Once they have reached the set app limit, Opal will automatically block websites and apps like YouTube
- Focus Reminders - Set up reminders that remind your child when it's time to take a break or start their Focus Session.
- and more!
With Opal, you can easily manage YouTube usage and protect your children from unwanted content.
Here's how to block YouTube channels with Opal:
- Download Opal from the App Store and sync the Chrome extension;
- Create an App Group to block specific social media sites, like YouTube;
- Start a session!
And that's it!
A fast and simple way to ensure your children's safety when they consume YouTube videos.
While they'll still be able to open the Instagram app or visit the website, you won't be able to refresh your feed and see any new posts.
Blocking YouTube channels can be a daunting and time-consuming task, especially if you have multiple children who need to access the platform.
With Opal's powerful features, parents can easily manage their child's screen time on digital devices and block unwanted content from YouTube with just a few clicks of the mouse.
Parents no longer have to worry about what their kids view online because they will know exactly where they spend most of their time – safely!
If you're looking for an easy way to protect your family from disturbing content or inappropriate videos on YouTube, try out Opal today and experience its amazing benefits firsthand.